Leadership in the national effort to reduc … Leadership in the national effort to reduce alcohol-related problems. It does this by by:
* Conducting and supporting research in a wide range of scientific areas including genetics, neuroscience, epidemiology, health risks and benefits of alcohol consumption, prevention, and treatment;
* Coordinating and collaborating with other research institutes and Federal Programs on alcohol-related issues;
* Collaborating with international, national, state, and local institutions, organizations, agencies, and programs engaged in alcohol-related work; and
* Translating and disseminating research findings to health care providers, researchers, policymakers, and the public.
The Institute's efforts to fulfill its mission are guided by the NIAAA vision to support and promote, through research and education, the best science on alcohol and health for the benefit of all by:
* Increasing the understanding of normal and abnormal biological functions and behavior relating to alcohol use;
* Improving the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of alcohol use disorders; and
* Enhancing quality health care.
Research opportunities to increase our understanding of why, how, and when people drink, and why and how some people develop alcohol use disorders, are set forth in the NIAAA Strategic Plan for Research h in the NIAAA Strategic Plan for Research
*Note: Neurolex imports many terms and their ids from existing community ontologies, e.g., the Gene Ontology. Neurolex, however, is a dynamic site and any content beyond the identifier should not be presumed to reflect the content or views of the source ontology. Users should consult with the authoritative source for each ontology for current information.